Live on Lakeside (Hollie and Stephanie) invited me back to share my best tips for preparing for vacation in advance. Whether you own your own business or work for someone else, a little planning will help free you up so that you can really unplug and enjoy your family vacation this summer.
Here are a few tips that I have found to be successful when planning on leaving work for a vacation. A little advance preparation helps enrich and distress the time away.
- Discuss the dates with your manager before your finalize your travel
- Block off your dates in your calendars so others cannot book meetings during that time
- Share the dates with as much lead time as possible with your working teams, partners and customers (as needed)
- Build a list of items that you will deliver before vacation and what will be done when you get back, review with management and teams
- Assign someone or multiple people to be your point of contacts (usually per initiative or project) while you are out
- Reschedule any reoccurring meetings that land during your vacation to before or after your vacation
- Provide your team with a cell number that you can be reached but be sure to say only for items you cannot get resolution on or that cannot wait. Do not call me for things that are not “urgent” in nature.
- If you want, say you will briefly check emails (30 mins) every other day to be sure no urgent request is pending
- If you are in high demand, ask your company to pay for wireless in your hotel or if you are overseas see an international card for your phone. If they decline, they have just given you permission to completely unplug if you want.
- For peace of mind, research wireless cafés nearby so you do have a backup if needed to fax, print or send emails.
The better you communicate prior to leaving for vacation, the more clearly expectations will be set. You’ll be surprised to find that people will respect and honor your right to a little down time if you have prepared them adequately in advance.
To watch and listen to the entire interview on vacation planning, click the link.