This past week I was a guest on Live on Lakeside talking about potholes that we should avoid in business. Here is a link to the Career Potholes video with the complete interview.
In a nutshell, here are the ten things to avoid:
- Declining key networking events where you might meet influential or interesting people
- Sharing too much personal information at work
- Dressing for your old role rather than the career you want to have
- Not taking the time to develop effective relationships
- Avoiding difficult conversations in key meetings
- Not asking to be considered for a promotion or key project
- Not aligning yourself with industry data – stay on top of the news
- Dodging difficult projects or projects you feel ill equipped to handle
- Not defining your own goals for your career
- Staying at a job for the wrong reasons
Do any of these ring true for you? Sometimes change can be difficult or even a little frightening, but if you continue with things the way they are you may never achieve the goals you’ve dreamed of. Take a listen to the entire conversation on Career Potholes – and then pick on the one career pothole that you know you are guilty of and create a plan to change your behavior.